Thursday, December 21, 2006

Kitchen disaster averted ....

So here i was on Tuesday night, trying to come up with dinner. Looking at the bag of potatoes i bought, i thought i will make some kind of potato curry. Too lazy to look for recipes and thinking i can manage it, i peeled the potatoes and stuff and got ready to cook.

I mean, how hard can it be to cook curry. I've seen it tonnes of times back home, just throw in the curry powder, fry with some garlic and onions and add the potatoes and simmer. A no brainer really....

Well apparently, i have no brains. Thinking to make myself some really spicy curry, i added all the spices that i had access to. Baba's curry powder,a dash of turmeric powder, a pinch of garam masala, a spoonful of cumin and coriander powder...I even threw in some dried chili for the extra kick. After frying it for some time, i added the potatoes and started to simmer the curry. That's when i finally tried it and oh man.......It was BITTER as hell. I was puzzled; bitter was the last flavor i expected to encounter.

I tried adding more soy sauce thinking it was just not salty enough but that did not work out. After trying a couple of more spoonfuls to be sure, I was about ready to chuck the whole thing into the garbage. And that was when my poor-college-kid instincts kicked in. I thought, i surely could save it....somehow.....Don't wanna waste three perfectly good potatoes and all that expensive spices just because i added too much curry powder....(i think the culprit was the cumin and coriander powder)

So i left that thing, sitting there, bitter and half cooked, while i went out with my friend for coffee. I went to the groceries that night with my friend (we were making puppy chow for the holidays) and got myself some canned sweet tomatoes. Went back home and threw the whole can in the pot. Suprise, suprise....that helped the curry...The curry became 'normal' again, and dinner was saved......As i had dinner for that night already, i finished cooking the potatoes and left it for dinner tomorrow.

The next night i heated the curry up and made myself some kick ass chapati (these are soooooooo easy to make. And delish too.....Yum....taste just like home) and had Indian food for dinner.

The moral to this long food-related post is that for every bitter curry, there is a silver can of tomatoes. Save your food people, don't chuck it...Improvise......Who said kiasu-ism and kiam-siap-ism is bad??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home